Mount trueCrypt partition D: where the C: partition was formatted (full drive encryp)

zozew

Hi All,

Sorry first for posting in English as my German isn't up to par and i think you rather read this in English than Googlified German.

My situation; i have a 1TB drive partitioned in to ruffly C: 300gb and D: 600GB and then encrypted with TrueCrypt whole volume encryption.
In my stupidity i formatted the C: drive and re-installed windows 7, i see the drive in my new windows 7 but of course i cant mount the D: drive ....that sucks!! is there anything at all that i can do to mount it or read the data. I of course had the Truecrypt rescue iso on the c: drive, but i do know the password for the volume/drive...

Any suggestions?

thx

Auf deutsch: er hat eine 1TB Platte mit 2 Partitionen, die er jeweils verschlüsselt hat. Danach hat er C: formatiert und kann jetzt nicht mehr auf seine 2. Partition zugreifen... (sind das Partitionen oder Volumes?! - irgendetwas scheint da vertauscht zu sein)

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hi,

you installed the new Windows 7 OS to that drive? Than probably parts / all of the data have been overwritten. Or did you "just" delete the "C:" partition? Is the "D:" partition still visible? Was the whole drive encrypted as one or were the partitions encrypted seperately? I don't grasp your setup to be honest, maybe you could deliver more information to clearify.

Is there a backup of the data?

Greetz,
Mad

Ok sorry if i was unclear :(

Setup 1TB drive, divided in two partitions one system partition C: around 300GB one D: partition around 600GB
then i used Truecrypt to encrypt he whole drive so i had to enter a password before booting windows.

I then booted windows 7 DVD and formated C: drive and reinstalled WIndows 7 on C: drive.

I can still see the D: drive in windows but i cant mount it with Truecrypt now as its probably missing the "masterkey" i think its called that was loaded when booting up the "old" windows on the C: drive

So basically i still have the partitions in my new windows installation but I cant mount the D: drive...right now windows Disc manager sees it as a 600GB Raw partition

I tried using TestCrypt but it didnt find any Truecrypt volumes on the D: partition...maybe because it was encrypted as a whole drive??

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hi,

what happens when you try to mount the drive? Are you to prompt a password? Or is there an error message?

Greetz,
Mad

i just get the "Incorrect password or not a Truecrypt volume" prompt.. :(

i'm sure if i had encrypted them separately C and D partitions there would had been no problem but I used the whole disk encryption....so...:(

Hi,

I'm afraid I still don't seem to get your setup: you have two partitions and encrypted them together? As one whole drive? How did you manage to format only one of them installing windows? Have you tried to decrypt it with the rescue disc?

I'd recommend asking in a TC-forum where your mother-language is spoken, it's pretty hard getting into technicalities anfd getting all the requiered information in a foreign language!

Greetz,
Mad

OMG!!! i just got in :)

i didnt test the mount without pre-boot authentication....and it just worked :) :) :) damn i thought i would cry myself to sleep.

SO to sum it up, if you delete the system partition on a whole encrypted drive with TrueCrypt you can get back in the other partitions by without pre-boot authentication under the system dropdown

THanks for your quick replies!!!

Zurück
Oben