Dip-switches CANON A-200 (1985 vintage 8086)

happymarco79

I'm Marco, I'm italian and I'm just joined in this community.
I say sorry to all but I don't know any word of Deutsche, only tremendous english :freak:.
In Italy there are some forums, but there isn't much participation.
However, I have exhumed a very old Canon A-200 of my aunt, she was buyed this pc NEW 30 years ago for her profession...

IMAG3292.jpg
IMAG3298.jpg

the tecnichal specs are:

Cpu: 8086 4.77 MHz
Ram: 256 KB
s.o.: MS-DOS 2.11
ROM 16 KB (?)
2 Floppy Drives (360 KB ?)
Serial RS232C
Monitor green phosphors
Without co-processor 8087

It has:

-Supplementary Ram board with 384 KB and Parity control (that I've change because generate error "Parity2 check")
-External Hard Disk (with MS-DOS 2.11)
-Supplementary HD interface board

IMAG3293.jpg

Now the doubts...
Begin that this pc in the time was used and working, I think that it's configured to work as primary device the external HDD, and Floppy Drives as maybe secondary...but in the FFD A I've found an folded cardboard not for protect the heads, but it seems as for unused it...the pc in this condition work, but I would use without the external HD.
If I remove the supplementary HD interface board, insert the floppy with the s.o. in A, it generate an error "601" (inherent to Hard Disk) and after ask Date and Time, and at pression of whatever key, or when I compose an command, it repeat to infinity the screen, the floppy always run and I can only reset it. :hammer_alt:

IMAG3259.jpg

The switches on the bottom of motherboard have this configuration:

IMAG3300.jpg

I suppose that's for what I've before described, and I haven't changed it.
Who knows the signification of these switches ?!?!
On web I've found some IBM and clones tables with conflicting descriptions for PC XT...

It looks linkt there may be some trouble with the year 2000 bug, so may try to set the clock to some date bevor 2000, i.e. 1994 and try again.

I've tried also with 1982, 198X, ecc date...the run of FFD is casually, for example if I would digit "DISKCOPY A: B:" start to write "DISKCOP" and the FFD run to infinity and on monitor I read "DISKCOP" "DISKCOP" "DISKCOP" "DISKCOP" "DISKCOP" ecc like a picture in example...
I've tried with another two keyboards...

Zurück
Oben