GTX 1070 coil whine and warranty question

Simon771

So I recently bought GTX 1070 EVGA Founders Edition from Caseking. I'm from Slovenia.
After some time, I noticed that this GPU have problem with coil whine.
As I play any games without any OC or anything, I get coil whine all the time and it's realy annoying me.
I taught that with waterblock it might be better, so I bought waterblock for this card and put it in my water cooling loop. But that didn't help whatsoever.

So I would like to ask how is with warranty in my case.
EVGA allows us to remove stock cooler, and I didn't damage that "if remove, voiding warranty" sticker. So from my understanding I didn't void warranty. At least I hope so.
Does warranty also include coil whine problem?

Is there 30-days free return for any reason?

I would just like to get GPU that doesn't have coil whine problem, so I can run my system silent.

Any help will be appreciated :)

Normally it does'nt apply, however the vendor or the shop still might give you a replacement if the problem is really severe. The best way to find out is to ask. But please keep in mind, since your card works fine (and has'nt been advertised explicitly as a silent-card) they do'nt have to replace/fix it.

Greetings Simon771,

despite not being particularly popular, the phenomenon of coil noise is a common occurrence with contemporary consumer devices, since electrical current that passes through a coil creates resonances in relation to the amperage (= load) and subsequently causes audible vibrations.

Usually those sounds intensify with time, due to the dampening materials' natural wear induced by the resonance frequencies that steadily increase the coil wire's mobility. This, however, never impairs the general operability of an electronic device, which is why coil whine doesn't constitute a fault in the sense of warranty or guarantee.

It might be subject to a valid RMA claim if a product is advertised as being absolutely silent, while showing coil whine right from the start. In such a case we would accept a return to test the respective graphics card ourselves and assess its noise emissions on a case by case basis. Though Founders Edition graphics cards with NVIDIA's reference cooler do of course not qualify for such an evaluation since no one can expect them to be noiseless.

Out of goodwill, we might still have accepted a return, but I can no longer offer that approach either, because you already assembled a custom water cooler on your card and thereby voided your warranty with us (not necessarily the manufacturer's warranty mind you). We can only accept returns of products that have not been manipulated in any way by the customer.

For further questions regarding EVGA handling this, please contact the manufacturer directly.

Kind Regards,
Mike

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hello,

Well that sounds dissapoiting. EVGA allows removing stock cooler, but store doesn't. That just makes no sense, since you would be sending card to EVGA and not trying to fix it in your IT department.
I have already contacted EVGA, and hope to get respond from them soon.
But if they refuse to do anything about it, or say that I must deal with store where I bought it, that means if something is to happen with my card, I won't have any warranty and just wasted 510€ on high end GPU. I'm sorry, but that seems just unfair.

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator: (no fullquote pls)
Hello Simon771,

why would you think that you don't have any warranty in case something actually happened with your card? The coil whine itself doesn't even have anything to do with the voluntary guarantee of the manufacturer, because it's not a technical fault covered by it (as explained above). Since EVGA does indeed allow removing coolers without you voiding their guarantee, there is no reason to be alarmed in any way. Whether EVGA will replace your noisy card out of goodwill is up to them and I cannot predict an outcome in that regard. This probably also depends on the severity of the noise that is unbeknownst to me.

Apart from that, you did have a right of withdrawal for 14 days after you've received your product and that should have been enough time to notice coil whine and send the graphics card back as intended (for free!). The right of withdrawal/revocation/cancellation has the sole purpose of allowing customers to test a product on their own and to return it if they're not satisfied, without having to indicate any reason whatsoever. You did however decide to go another route and modified the product on your own.

I can only stress again, that we are not EVGA. There are important differences concerning the legally mandated seller's warranty and the voluntary manufacturer's warranty in the EU on which you can read a bit more here: https://www.caseking.de/en/warranty?__shop=2

Kind Regards,
Mike

Zurück
Oben