Two different companies for internet and telephone in a House .

Hello everyone,
I am so sorry that I write in english but my german is not so good.
In our house we are connected to a company for internet and telephone. The intenet was always slow so when two years ago we saw an invitation for fiber optics (Glasfaser) we were excited and registered with this company. Almost two years passed and nothing happened so we decided to pay more and upgrade the existing system with our first company. While we are in the process of doing so the fiber optics company appears to inform us that in a month, they will install fiber optics. As you can understand we are with two different companies and two contracts. My question is, in our house can we have two companies, one with fiberoptics and one with normal high-speed internet.
Thank you so much for your attention
Dr. P. Moraitis

Yes, that's not a problem at all. You can even use a third provider over TV cable and a fourth via mobile radio ;).

• Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: netzgestaltung und Penny moraitis
Penny moraitis schrieb:
in our house can we have two companies
Yes you can. You may not want to pay for more than one at any given time. But that's a different subject.

• Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: Penny moraitis
Incanus schrieb:
Yes, that's not a problem at all. You can even use a third provider over TV cable and a fourth via mobile radio ;).
Thank you so much. Do we need to do anything extra?
Our house is relatively new, about 10 years old.
As far as we know there is only one line. In this line we have the first company.
The fiber optics will bring new line?
Sorry for my questions but I am a literature professor and all technical matters seem Chinese to me!

Penny moraitis schrieb:
The fiber optics will bring new line?
Yes it will. Assuming it is indeed FTTH.

If you tell us the names of the companies involved, we may be able to tell you more.

• Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: Penny moraitis
dvor schrieb:
Yes it will. Assuming it is indeed FTTH.

If you tell us the names of the companies involved, we may be able to tell you more.
Sure no problem. The fiber optics company is Deutsch Glasfaser and the initial company we had is Telekom.

Deutsche Glasfaser always installs it's own line. An optical fiber that ends inside the building.

Current access is vie telephone line. That is a copper cable. Deutsche Glasfaser cannot use that: The technology is not compatible.

In summary, I can continue using the Telekom in my current installation. The Deutsche Glasfaser will remain unused unless I put a separate installation of fiber optics inside the house. Is this correct ?

Check your contract. Many contracts with Deutsche Glasfaser include a statement, that they will cancel your Telekom DSL once their fiber line is operational. Check if you did give them consent. For most people it doesn't make sense to have two providers at the same time.
What is needed in order to get the Deutsche Glasfaser connection online, we don't know. If you have signed a contract with them, they might send you a router at some point and tell you: "ok, you are ready to go, please pay 50 euro each month now".

Yes, if you will need to provide the in-house fiber lines as explained here (unfortunately in German only: https://www.deutsche-glasfaser.de/glasfaser/leitungswege/). Check the Video "Verlegung der Glasfaser im Haus".

I would check with Telekom how to cancel your subscription with them as fiber is superior and land line telephone service is included anyway. So basically I see no advantage in keeping Telekom service aside from the additional costs/effort to prepare your house for fiber service.

If the house is your own property and not rented the effort now will pay off in the future in case you want to sell your house.

Zurück
Oben