Gazillion of WHEA event ID 17 PCI Express Root Port errors on Z790

BoggledBeagle

Cadet 2nd Year
  • Prozessor (CPU): 13600K, 14700K, 14900K
  • Arbeitsspeicher (RAM): Kingston FURY 32GB KIT DDR5 6000MHz CL36 Beast Black EXPO
  • Mainboard: GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX rev. 1.0
  • Grafikkarte: RTX 4070
  • HDD / SSD: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB, 980 PRO 2TB, 1TB
Hello, I am getting hundreds or errors in the title per hour. I tried different CPUs, every possible settings I found on internet, and the only thing which stops the errors is when I run high performance mode in Windows 11, which unfortunatelly runs the CPU at high frequency all the time.

I would like to avoid it, because then the CPU consumes 20-30W in idle, instead of 4W.

I have up to date BIOS and all drivers.

Has anybody experienced this problem and what was your solution?

Are these problems of any meaning, can they cause some data corruption, etc? One approach could be as well just to ignore these errors, but it does not seem right to me.

Ich kann EINFACH Deutsch lesen. Ich kann fast nichts sagen.

WHEA errors are often related to RAM-oc (loaded XMP?). Test the fail safe settings.

I am pretty certain that it is happening even at 4800 RAM speed, I should test it again, but 6000 is nothing exceptional and the memory should work just fine. If the motherboard had some flaky RAM trace, there is no reason why should it stop happening when the CPU does not change frequency and runs fast all the time.

Apparently could be related to PCIe power saving which would also be affected by high performance mode.
You could try outright disabling ASPM in UEFI or looking for PCIe specific ASPM settings and see if that helps.

Stormfirebird schrieb:
You could try outright disabling ASPM in UEFI or looking for PCIe specific ASPM settings and see if that helps.
Disabling ASPM in BIOS was the first thing I did. I could not find anything related to PCI in the Gigabyte BIOS.

Does the error you're getting point to a specific device?
According to this manual there doesn't seem to be a way to globally disable ASPM, what exactly did you change so far?

I cannot remember now, I am not at the computer. PCH ASPM setting on page 17 looks promising, but If I remember correctly I already tried it.

I already found out that there is a lot of power saving states of the CPU and setting combinations of these states, I am afraid I am unable to troubleshoot this...

I found out that the cause was a Samsung 990 PRO 2TB SSD. I have a second same drive and that one causes no problems.

• Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: Felix#
Zurück
Oben