Very low clock speed when using a dgpu

Finn6767

Cadet 1st Year
Hi,

there's another thread about someone having massive throttling issues (drops from 200 to 50 fps in games within a few minutes) that didn't really get addressed. I've got the S740 about a week ago and did all the updates (bios, drivers, etc.) and Lenovo Vantage tells me my system is up to date. There are no background processes running that hinder performance and that's not the reason at all.

When stressing the CPU (Cinebench, Prime95) HWMonitor displays about 22W Package Power continuously (after an initial spike to 35W), but as soon as I start a load on the MX250 GPU (FurMark) the Package Power rather quickly drops to 10W with absurdly low clock speeds even below the base clock of 1.3GHz. Closing FurMark and therefore killing the load on the GPU slowly returns the CPU to 22W.

For example: Using Cinebench R20 the system runs continuously at 22W, 2.5GHz and within a 80-90 temperature range. Simply starting FurMark and putting a load on the MX250 reduces the Power Package to 10W after maybe 1 or 2 minutes and the clock speeds are now in the 1GHz range or even lower and fluctuate wildly. Meanwhile the CPU temperature dropped to the 60-70 range, load on the MX250 is at 100% at about 70 degrees.

The temperatures don't seem to be the issue. From what I've understand the S740 has each component in the higher TDP-configuration and stressing only the CPU seems to be in that 25W range. Is this intended behavior? Is the TDP-limit shared? The way the system behaves completely nullifies the point of having the dedicated GPU since the gaming performance is completely destroyed by the low and inconsistent CPU clock speeds. It also seems pointless since each component is about 20-30 degrees below the actual limit.

I didn't expect the machine to game well, but at least older and less demanding games should run fine, but each game starts with decent performance for a few minutes and than drops precipitously due to the CPU limiting itself to 10W. CSGO starts at well above 200 fps- which is expected for the hardware -but quickly drops to 120 fps and after that to 60-70 fps and never recovers. Performance is also extremely inconsistent due to the inconsistent clocks that jump between 0.9 and 1.5GHz. The overall performance is on-par with my old Surface Pro 4 that featured a 6300U and no dedicated GPU.

Maybe that's intended design, but it's then quite pointless even having the MX250. I doubt the Intel G7 would perform worse under the circumstances. Or maybe I'm missing something in the configuration of the notebook. It's running plugged-in and set the Best Performance. I even tried a custom Power Plan but there aren't any options, even after enabling more features within the registry.

Best regards

Please share the specs of the "laptop" first.

Check what kind of limit (thermal, power, ...) you're running into: HWInfo should provide that kind of information. As an alternative, have a look at the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility.

You are right, the laptop is the Lenovo S740- 14iil.
I had a look in Hwinfo and while gaming all for core showed the following problem: Max power limit exceeded. The whole CPU was running with 10 Watt and the clock speed was as low as 1,2 Ghz on average!
Ergänzung ()

Und ich habe grade bemerkt dass das ja hier ein deutsches Forum ist und wir daher auch deutsch sprechen können:-)

Du kannst versuchen im Intel XTU das Power Target der CPU anzuheben - natürlich auf eigene Gefahr :D Kühlung ist bei Laptops oftmals ein Thema ... mein Heim-Laptop (i5-8250U mit Geforce MX150) zeigt ganz ähnliche Probleme bei "anspruchsvolleren" Spielen wie Anno 1404.

ich meinte die Zeile zum Lenovo-Tool wo
Four Schemes: Energy Star /High Performance /Balanced/ Super Energy Saver
steht, evtl hast du nicht High Perf aktiv
Es wird auch von Lenovo voller Stolz erwähnt das man an den Windows Energiesparplänen rumpfuscht, da von halte ich garnichts
ich halte generell nix von irgendwelcher Zusatzsoftware abseits von Chipsatz und Grafiktreibern

Ich kenne mich mit so etwas nicht so gut aus und möchte den Laptop auch noch einige Jahre behalten😁. Aber beim zocken ist bei den Temperaturen eigentlich noch etwas Luft nach oben. Die cpu ist immer so bei 60-65 Grad. Was mich ein bisschen besorgt ist das der laotop in der Mitte sehr viel Hitze aufbaut ( ich bin mir garnicht sicher welches Komponenten darunter liegt). Wurdet ihr so etwas denn grundsätzlich empfehlen so an der Software herumzuschrauben?
Ergänzung ()

15943277816521124558346298661119.jpg

Ergänzung ()

Meinst du das? Falls ja, ich kann hier nur den Modus ausbalanciert auswählen andere Modi stehen nicht zur Verfügung...

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Du schriebst, dass du mit dem Lenovo-Tool alle Zusatzsoftware installieren hast lassen.
schau erstmal nach ob dieses miese
Lenovo Energy Management
installiert wurde, wenn ja hoffe ich, dass du in dem Programm "High Performance" auswählen kannst.
Falls nicht, hoffe ich, dass dessen Deinstallation dir das Höchstleistungsprofil wieder bringt.

Habe grade nachgesehen, aber dieses Programm ist nicht auf dem Laptop.

Im Prinzip bleibt dir ja nicht mehr viel übrig. Hast Du schon mal versucht deine CPU per Intel XTU etwas zu undervolten? Ich betreibe meinen i5-8250U mit einem Offset von -0,1V, eventuell klappt das bei dir auch. Damit hättest Du dann etwas mehr Luft bis zum Erreichen des Powertargets.

Ich habe gestern mal eben schnell versucht mir Intel xpu herunterzuladen, aber es kam eine Fehlermeldung das meine Konfiguration nicht kompatibel sei.

Allerdings habe ich in der Anwendung Lenovo Vantage eine Möglichkeit gefunden die Performance zu steuern. Sandartmäßig ist Auto ausgewählt (Pl1 Limit liegt bei 22 Watt, wenn man die dgpu verwendet bei 10 Watt). Ich habe jetzt auf beste Performance umgeschaltet ( Pl1 Limit 30 Watt, mit dgpu immerhin 12 Watt. Somit habe ich jetzt immerhin schonmal eine durchschnittliche Taktfrequenz von 1,5 Ghz statt 1,1 Ghz.

Ich verstehe nur trotzdem nicht warum der Prozessor nur so eingeschränkt läuft wenn man die dgpu benutzt....

Zurück
Oben