Time to upgrade my RX 580 4GB, I guess... Help me choose the next GPU

tobiasfunke

Hello all, my German is a bit rocky so I'll post in English, hope that's ok. So, to give some background, I don't really game much on my PC, hence my current GPU. But, I like simracing and I have a decent simracing setup which I initially used on my PS4 Pro for Gran Turismo games. But having played through both titles, I figured I could play some better racing sims on my PC, right? Well, no, not really - not with my current GPU, at least. And that leads me to consider an upgrade.

So, here is my current setup:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
PSU: Corsair CX550M 550 W 80+ Bronze
GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB

The PC is connected to the 65" 4K@60 Hz no FreeSync Samsung TV that I use as a monitor for simracing. I really don't need a GPU that will push native 4K, upscaling from 1440p would be great, upscaling from 1080p would be acceptable but I would admittedly be a bit sad.

1. How much money are you willing to spend?
As little as possible to get a decent enough solution, given that I am by no means a hardcore gamer. I just want to be able to sit down and enjoy a bit of simracing when I feel like it, without having to spend more time tweaking and getting frustrated with the unplayble performance/crashes (as is the case with my current card).

2. Games I want to play:
  • iRacing
  • Assetto Corsa Competizione
  • maybe other games if I feel like it, but I suppose everything that runs the above two fine will work for most current games

Note: Should the new GPU allow for it, I would also like to give VR a try with something like Oculus Rift S or Oculus Quest 2, for Half-Life: Alyx and iRacing instead of the TV.

3. Do you have special wishes regarding the graphics card? (volume, connections, color, manufacturer, lighting etc.)
No special wishes, don't care for RGB, but I do have some size constraints due to my case:
Max length: 315mm
Max thickness: 2.2 slots/44 mm

4. When do you want to buy the card? As soon as possible or can you wait a few weeks/months?
I can wait a few months

5. New or used?
I don't mind either way, but having checked out the prices new vs used, it seems like the used GPU prices are even more inflated than the new prices? Silly. And a bit annoying for a deal hunter.

---

With that out of the way, I have no allegiance to team red/green, only to my wallet. I looked at the current selection of cards and it looks like the 6700 XT may be the way to go? Specifically the XFX SWFT 6700 XT seems like it might be the best out of the bunch that I can get away with size-wise.

But if I can meet my needs stress-free with a cheaper card or get a lot more bang for a bit more buck, I'm all ears. I also looked at nVidia a bit but 8 GB VRAM seems like a bad joke, especially paired with their prices. But I saw that there's a 12GB 3060 for a bit less than the 6700 XT, is that the way to go? I have to admit I got a bit tired of sifting through all the specs after a while and decided to consult folks who actually keep track of the market and use these daily.

Sorry for the wall of text, I hope I covered everything, thanks in advance for any help with navigating this messy looming purchase!

Darf man fragen, weshalb du in einem deutschen Forum mit einem deutschen Usernamen eine Anfrage auf englisch stellst?

Ja, die meisten hier sind dem englischen sicherlich mächtig. Kein Ding.
Aber so riecht das immer nach copy & paste welches man schon in einem anderen Forum oder auf Reddit oder so gepostet hat und dann hier einfach auch nochmals reinhaut.

• Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: o_dosed.log, MehlstaubtheCat, Frank-67 und 3 andere
Die CPU ist dann auch bald dran. Die kann man natürlich noch nutzen, wird dann je nach Karte für die du dich entscheidest dann limitieren in der einen oder anderen Situation.
Wo es dann Limitiert kannst du selbst am besten herausfinden mit Wissen und Tools, denn das ist immer wieder anders nach Einstellungen und Spielen...

https://www.computerbase.de/forum/threads/limitiert-cpu-xyz-die-graka-abc.818979/
https://www.computerbase.de/forum/t...kelt-fps-brechen-ein-framedrops-lags.1367247/
Würde ich grad was neues Kaufen wäre es eine 6800XT, - relativ gute Preisleistung
schau einfach da rein: dafür gibts ja nen PreiLeistungsdiagramm
inklusive benches.
https://www.computerbase.de/thema/grafikkarte/rangliste/

@Captain Mumpitz How rude of me, allow me to introduce myself properly:
Screenshot_2023-08-09-19-11-12-838_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg

Jokes aside, though I can sort of understand your suspicion, I'm afraid that I actually went through the effort of typing up my post exclusively for Computerbase. Sure, I could have done it in butchered German as that is the current extent of my proficiency, but for the sake of preserving the clarity of my inquiry and your sanity, and presuming that computer enthusiasts will cope with it just fine, I opted for English. And that's the extent of that mystery :)

@Alexander2 Yes, I'm afraid that's true. Ideally I can scrape by with it for a while longer because really, other than gaming, it is serving me just fine. But when I start considering updates, there's a bit of a domino effect, isn't it?

I looked at 6800 XT as well, but it seems to start at around 500€ vs ~350 for 6700 XT (that is, unless I missed a killer deal somewhere?). It's not that I cannot afford it, but it feels like a lot of money for only gaming a couple hours per week. Is it really that much better than the 6700 XT to justify the price premium?

The 6800XT would be my choice because i have a radeon 5700 (non XT). It already would nat be that really big upgrade and a 6700XT from my Point even less.

But for you, 6700XT might be the better Deal. I for myself won't make the upgrade. it feels too expensive just for gaming. So the 5700 just stays. I will just buy fun Games that run great on my Hardware with what i have now.
All the Developer that really want to earn Money for theyr hard work will also consider the prices we now have and at which Performance level the most or a huge part of People are.
So i kind of feel komfortable staying with my 5700 :-) and also the Steam Deck.

Instead af a Fancy ne Graphics card i bought a OLED Monitor with 240Hz capability.

Edit:
for 1440P Resolution without RT the Price/Frame is only slightly better for the 6700XT compared to the 6800XT

So you kind of would only get more fps with that Price/frame Scaling. As long as the CPU isn't Limiting the GPU (In the end with according Settings you can even with your CPU make sure the GPU/any GPU is alway the Limiting factor...)

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
@tobiasfunke given the your username and the newly created account on a german website/board, I obviously was rather suspicious and it definitely felt weird. But anyhow.

are you playing iRacing with your rig already or is it something that you will pick up in the future?
If I'm not mistaken, iRacing also asks for some CPU power and last time I heard about it, it was running better on Nvidia. But that could be outdated, I don't know. You will definitely know once you shifted your bottleneck from GPU to CPU.

Based on this vid, even the 3080 beats an 6800XT in this particular game.

I suppose this will even get worse in VR.
Hence I would actually go for Nvidia in this case, though normally I would always recommend AMD in the lower to medium tier price range.

Unfortunately you did not state a price point, which would be crucial.
So without a budget I'd advise you to score a used 3080Ti on Kleinanzeigen, but that will also require a PSU upgrade for another ~100€

If that's out of the question, maybe a 4060Ti would make more sense. But I'd definitely stay away from anything with 8GB of VRAM only, even you're not opting to play the newest releases. But do not underestimate VR.
If you're happy with the AMD performance tho, the 6800(XT) is a great choice. For the XT version I'd also recommend a beefier PSU tho. Won't be necessary for either 6700XT or 6800

tobiasfunke schrieb:
I looked at 6800 XT as well[...]Is it really that much better than the 6700 XT to justify the price premium?
according to the current CB-ranking the 6800XT has ~45% more power in WQHD, plus 4GB more memory. thats not that bad for a ~55% price increase. but, as far as i know there is no 6800XT that fits in your case.

there are plenty of 4070 that would fit, but these cards are even more expensive.

tobiasfunke schrieb:
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000
does it run with 3000?

should the 2600X be too slow you have great upgrade-options (5600, 5700X, 5800X3D) with your current MB.

may i ask why you chose a german forum?

I think you have the best performance gain if you rely on the RX 6700XT and then upgrade the CPU with the very cheap Ryzen 5 5600. In the end, this will bring you more than just a Radeon RX 6800 XT

• Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: Captain Mumpitz
You can look after a used RX5700 or RX5700XT. Its available for about 150€, so it would be a cheap upgrade.
2x the power then RX580
2x the Ram then RX580

If thats not enough i would tend to a new RX6700XT for about 350€
3x power then RX580
3x the Ram then RX580

The Choice is up to you

• Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: StevenB
fundeath schrieb:
I think you have the best performance gain if you rely on the RX 6700XT and then upgrade the CPU with the very cheap Ryzen 5 5600. In the end, this will bring you more than just a Radeon RX 6800 XT
Before updateing the cpu to 5600 he has to check, if the BIOS of his ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming ITX needs also an update.

@Gaugaumera you are wrong, the 580 already had 8gb, the 5700 still hast 8gb and the 6700xt only hast 12gb, not 3 times 8gb...

so with that wrong, i even dont want to look for a benchmark, which compares the speed.

Alexander2 schrieb:
@Gaugaumera you are wrong, the 580 already had 8gb, the 5700 still hast 8gb and the 6700xt only hast 12gb...
The TE said he had the 4gb version of the rx580.
So my comparisson is still valid

Zurück
Oben