What is your 5600x whole system wattage under light load? (=~10% CPU usage ~20 tabs already open + youtube video playing 1080p)

lpwin7

Cadet 1st Year
I am conducting a survey of 5600x users (or anything 5600 non-x, 5700x, 5800x) whole system at the wall wattage under "light load" (defined as 10% CPU usage ~20 tabs already open + youtube video playing 1080p)

I want to build the following system, but I am Concerned about wattage during idle and "light load" situations
5600x,
3060ti,
MSI B550M PRO VDH low wattage motherboard
(https://www.amazon.com/MSI-B550M-PRO-VDH-ProSeries-Motherboard/dp/B089D1YG11/
2 sticks RAM totaling either 16gb or 32gb 3200 MT/s ram (depends on how much more wattage 32gb would take
2tb M.2 NVME SSD (some WD brand SSD that supposedly only uses 1 watt normally )
platinum PSU (might buy titanium in the future)

My plan is to underclock/undervolt the GPU for lower idle + set a power limit to lower max consumption during gaming
Ram, I want XMP on (because I don't want to keep going back to the bios) but I want to lower the voltage and clock as much as possible without hampering the CPU

What I am not sure about is the 5600x CPU wattage and the resulting power usage on the motherboard+I/O die (or whatever it is that takes the most wattage in that part of the computer) .

I'm not worried about power usage when gaming, since Ryzen is really good in that situation.

But most of the time the computer will be doing a "light load" just browsing the internet (with like 20-30 tabs open and a 1080p video Youtube, Twitch, etc.)

I am asking for people with similar builds (especially 5600x builds) WHAT IS THE POWER DRAW WITH A WATT METER "AT THE WALL" during "light load" (defined as 20-30 browser tabs already open + 1080p video playing in browser)

So if a few people can help me by measuring at the wall in that situation, it will help me decide whether to buy the parts from Newegg (where I can return them if it doesn't work) to do testing of my own. Feel free to use whatever power settings you want, eco mode, undervolt, etc. Just please say what your settings are, and if you are doing something that MASSIVELY slows it down or that cannot be switched off quickly to go back to normal power.

If there doesn't exist a combination of settings that allows the wattage to be like 50-65 ish watts at the wall in that situation, I will have to buy an Intel CPU and quit using Win 7 (Intel no longer support Win 7 without custom drivers which are a security risk) because Intel offers a much lower idle and responsible power (and not having excess heat!) is really important in my situation right now. Win 7 is also important to me for comfort reasons and it's easier to stop the spying and bullshit than win 10.

Thank you for reading! Any help is appreciated!

P.S. If you all help me with this and I end up buying the parts, I will make a second post with my results with that motherboard and Win 7 since it should be lower CPU usage than Win 10, and thus lower wattage. Hopefully that sounds interesting because power saving seems pretty important to many people on this forum. Thank you again!)

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
lpwin7 schrieb:
What I am not sure about is the 5600x CPU wattage and the resulting power usage on the motherboard+I/O die (or whatever it is that takes the most wattage in that part of the computer) .
This one here is a good estimation for you: Leistungsaufnahme in unterschiedlichen Szenarien

lpwin7 schrieb:
I AM ASKING PEOPLE WITH SIMILAR BUILDS WHAT THEIR POWER DRAW IS WITH A WATT METER "AT THE WALL" DURING THE SITUATION OF "LIGHT LOAD" (DEFINED AS 20-30 BROWSER TABS ALREADY OPEN + 1080p VID PLAYING IN BROWSER )
Please stop screaming in this forum. There is no reason for doing so.

Don't use capital letters all the time, thank you.

• Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: Poati, Asghan und Tr0nism
Um wieviel Stromersparnis im idle Betrieb oder 10% CPU load geht es heutzutage überhaupt? Hat da jemand Zahlen? Danke

lpwin7 schrieb:
P.S. If you all help me with this and I end up buying the parts, I will make a second post with my results with that motherboard and Win 7 since it should be lower CPU usage than Win 10, and thus lower wattage. Hopefully that sounds interesting because power saving seems pretty important to many people on this forum. Thank you again!)

There is no reason to install Win 7 on this platform. You can reach your goals with windows 10 and some tweaks. Save your time and dont install a legacy OS on this new hardware.

In addition, Windows 7 is no longer officially supported. Therefore, the driver search is no fun.

Edit: Welcome to the forum

lpwin7 schrieb:
I want to build the following system, but I am Concerned about wattage during idle and "light load" situations
5600x,
3060ti,
MSI B550M PRO VDH low wattage motherboard
(https://www.amazon.com/MSI-B550M-PRO-VDH-ProSeries-Motherboard/dp/B089D1YG11/
2 sticks RAM totaling either 16gb or 32gb 3200 MT/s ram (depends on how much more wattage 32gb would take
2tb M.2 NVME SSD (some WD brand SSD that supposedly only uses 1 watt normally )
platinum PSU (might buy titanium in the future)

I think those measurement devices measure crap.
In my point of view a cable needs to be dismantled and with a true rms Stromzange to be measured.
Anything else gives you, numbers which are not worth it.

I give you my thoughts and my Ideas.

If you want to conserve energy you better use gnu gentoo linux with i3wm instead of windows 10 pro. my ram usage is much slower, i have my gentoo setup since 2006 and very low to no useless tasks running.
you need also consider cooling of all the stuff - how many case fans - which case - which airflow - which cpu cooler - which cpu cooling pump

A b550 mainboard with turned off peripherals like lan controller and turned off lbtq-lights (rainbow flag, you know the rest)

how many harddrives and data drives, how many usb-sticks and usb-devices connected

one memory stick should be the best - performance wise use two memory sticks.

3060ti is very bad. the best is using one monitor with a 6600xt gpu card from AMD. see computerbase for test with one and two monitor setup with different gpu cards.
in general do not buy nvidia, as these have massive energy consumption issue in both operating systems under load and with low loads

I use freesync turned on with 46-75hz with 6600xt gpu with epic game store games in whqd... according to windows 10 pro amd gpu driver energy consumption usually in those games around 40-110watts.

--

I will not measure my box because

apples vs bananas

b550 mainboard with 2 ram sticks no lbtq lights
but
3 fractal meshify 2 fans, 3x arctc p14, 1x arctic p12,
crap cpu cooler which needs to be replaced arctic freezer 34 with 2x arctic p12
2x pcie 4.0 nvme 1tb drives
2x sata 120 or 128gb ssds
4x Hdds 3.5" 1.5TB (old stuff)

I use more data drives than other people and more case fans.
i intend to trash out the cpu cooler as it is not up to the task. This is the next project to get some custom water cooling setup going, as the cpu usually does not boost.

Therefore consumption measurements is pointless in my point of view.

You should think about cooling and how that affects your setup.
And you should give up on nvidia or give up on saving energy. you can not have both!
Last time i checked 6600xt vs 3070, there was around 30 watt power waste an hour with nvidia -- comparing apples with bananas and other stuff for my use case.

i did tune my RAM and test with heavy memory benchmarks. i think 20 percent improvements for slight overvoltage on RAM is worth the energy.

also consider that old agesa is better than newer agesa in this regard. new uefi will waste performance.

my advise

use gnu gentoo linux wiht i3wm (low ram usage - no tasks running in taskmgr.exe - no energy waste!)
fine tune your ram
use windows 10 pro for gaming with low power energy plan and with power save feature turned on with 6600xt with freesync monitor with range set to low.
turn off lbtq lights and not needed peripherals in bios, get b550 mainboard

reduce your data fingerprint - your data drives.
think before you buy about cooling - how many fans - how many cooling pumps.

• Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: oicfar
Maybe msi Motherboards are also not the best choice if youre aiming for saving as much Power as possible? Not sure about that spezific board you mentioned,

But MSI hasn't even inplemented stuff like aspm / apm on most if not all of its amd am4 platform lineup boards... Ofc under light load its different anyway, but my msi / ryzen Setup has pretty high idle power draw..

pray4mercy schrieb:
There is no reason to install Win 7 on this platform. You can reach your goals with windows 10 and some tweaks. Save your time and don't install a legacy OS on this new hardware.

In addition, Windows 7 is no longer officially supported. Therefore, the driver search is no fun.

Edit: Welcome to the forum
There's plenty of reasons for me, and for many others. It's a lot easier to remove Microsoft spyware on Win 7, and it's a lot easier to customize and keep the system the way I want it. Security is a non-issue.
I am prioritizing a ryzen system solely because of Win 7. Driver search is already completed, as I did over a month of research to find boards with official drivers. The only thing left to be worked out is whether the boards are economical enough on power consumption with Ryzen. Win 7 was the last OS that MS made before the changed to a data brokerage company instead of a software company. Thank you for the welcome! If I have to move to win 10, at least power consumption won't be an issue anymore.

lynxx83 schrieb:
Maybe msi motherboards are also not the best choice if you're aiming for saving as much power as possible? Not sure about that specific board you mentioned,

But MSI hasn't even implemented stuff like aspm / apm on most if not all of its amd am4 platform lineup boards... Ofc under light load its different anyway, but my msi / ryzen setup has pretty high idle power draw..
I acknowledge what you are saying about aspm, but I don't think it's just MSI... I've never seen that feature on an AM4 board. So that's just another benefit of going Intel if I can't get "light load" wattage under target.

And I don't think MSI boards a generally more power hungry.... normally it's down to the feature set on the motherboard that determines board power draw. Can you post what model of motherboard you have? And what settings do you run? (undervolt, eco mode, etc.) What ram are you running? (I've read that above 3200mhz you get higher power draw (although 5% performance boost if you run 3600mhz over 3200mhz) Have you removed Win 10 telemetry, and other excess background nonsense?

Yes youre right, most other companies dont have it implemented either, positive example that has it are gigabyte boards for am4. Aspm was unlocked/fixed? Back in agesa 1.0.0.4 iirc so maybe some asrock/asus boards have it re-enabled afterwards but im not sure. About w10 settings i can't tell since im not at home right now ;)

I have my own E-/P-Cores solution with AMD. For "normal" work (80-85%) I'm using my mini-pc (AMD Ryzen 5 5560U, 6C/12T, 32 GB RAM). For the other stuff (15-20%) I'm using my PC with AMD Ryzen 7 5700G (undervolted, 8C/16T). And I'm happy with this solution.

With this solution I save energy. ;) Cause for the 80% of my time I don't need the faster PC.

_roman_ schrieb:
I think those measurement devices measure crap.
In my point of view a cable needs to be dismantled and with a true rms Stromzange to be measured.
Anything else gives you, numbers which are not worth it.

I give you my thoughts and my Ideas.

If you want to conserve energy you better use gnu gentoo linux with i3wm instead of windows 10 pro. my ram usage is much slower, i have my gentoo setup since 2006 and very low to no useless tasks running.
you need also consider cooling of all the stuff - how many case fans - which case - which airflow - which cpu cooler - which cpu cooling pump

A b550 mainboard with turned off peripherals like lan controller and turned off lbtq-lights (rainbow flag, you know the rest)

how many harddrives and data drives, how many usb-sticks and usb-devices connected

one memory stick should be the best - performance wise use two memory sticks.

3060ti is very bad. the best is using one monitor with a 6600xt gpu card from AMD. see computerbase for test with one and two monitor setup with different gpu cards.
in general do not buy nvidia, as these have massive energy consumption issue in both operating systems under load and with low loads

I use freesync turned on with 46-75hz with 6600xt gpu with epic game store games in whqd... according to windows 10 pro amd gpu driver energy consumption usually in those games around 40-110watts.

--

I will not measure my box because

apples vs bananas

b550 mainboard with 2 ram sticks no lbtq lights
but
3 fractal meshify 2 fans, 3x arctc p14, 1x arctic p12,
crap cpu cooler which needs to be replaced arctic freezer 34 with 2x arctic p12
2x pcie 4.0 nvme 1tb drives
2x sata 120 or 128gb ssds
4x Hdds 3.5" 1.5TB (old stuff)

I use more data drives than other people and more case fans.
i intend to trash out the cpu cooler as it is not up to the task. This is the next project to get some custom water cooling setup going, as the cpu usually does not boost.

Therefore consumption measurements is pointless in my point of view.

You should think about cooling and how that affects your setup.
And you should give up on nvidia or give up on saving energy. you can not have both!
Last time i checked 6600xt vs 3070, there was around 30 watt power waste an hour with nvidia -- comparing apples with bananas and other stuff for my use case.

i did tune my RAM and test with heavy memory benchmarks. i think 20 percent improvements for slight overvoltage on RAM is worth the energy.

also consider that old agesa is better than newer agesa in this regard. new uefi will waste performance.

my advise

use gnu gentoo linux wiht i3wm (low ram usage - no tasks running in taskmgr.exe - no energy waste!)
fine tune your ram
use windows 10 pro for gaming with low power energy plan and with power save feature turned on with 6600xt with freesync monitor with range set to low.
turn off lbtq lights and not needed peripherals in bios, get b550 mainboard

reduce your data fingerprint - your data drives.
think before you buy about cooling - how many fans - how many cooling pumps.
I agree with a lot of what you've said, and you have given me some things to think about. I was originally thinking of 6650xt, and I will strongly consider it if I have to go Win 10. Also I have 2 monitors. Right now they are 60hz and 120hz, but I will probably set both to 120hz sometimes. What's the easiest way to change refresh rates on the fly in Win 10?

About turning off lan controller, will I still be able to use ethernet?

As for Linux, I'd probably start with Ubuntu or whatever plays nice with whatever GPU I choose.

I would still like to see some at the wall measurements for the 5600x though.

And what does UEFI have to do with power consumption?

Thank you.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
About uefi in my point of view:

Uefi makes it possible to turn off peripherals of your mainboard or the lbtq lights on your mainboard.

Memory Overclock in my point of view gives nearly free performance for a little overvoltage.

There are a lot of tweak options which may improve performance per watt ratio.

--

Per wall measurements are nonsense, as statet above. Different Case and setups of peripherals. You can only measure it aquurately with a clamp meter. A cheap wallmeter will give you some random numbers in my point of view.

The operating range of the psu also matters. And the cost of the psu also matters. Low Load or max load of the power supply. Are you using the power supply with two percent load or 50 percent and so on ...

Zurück
Oben