Windows 10 hangs after long time idling.

sew333

Lt. Junior Grade
Hi my pc:
108500K stock 4800mhz
2x16 GB DDR4 GSKILL 3200mhz XMP
Seasonic Tx-850 Ultra Titanium
Gigabyte Rtx 3090 Gaming OC
Aorus Z490 Pro Gaming
1 TB SSD

I have updated Windows 10 to H20,the newest version. I installed windows 10 month ago with new pc. So far so good,games not crashing all stable.
My pc is on 24 hours. Today was idle 5-6hours in desktop. After few hours when i go to use pc, i run Google chrome and then all suddenly freezed. I mean i was able to touch/move mouse, but all stops resonding. Chrome,search bar,start button stops responding. Then i make ctrl alt delete and black screen with blue circle. So i make hard reset.
It happened first time that hang of system.
Is there somewhere my pc not stable or its a windows thing? Like i said pc was idle 5-6 hours when i go to use pc, i turned on google chrome and then all suddenly hangs. I checked EVENT VIEWER: Nothing,0 entries about any errors.
Thx.

ah ps
NZXT cam was on background and epic launcher + steam and msi afterburner

PS:Running currently Karhu Ram test no errors. Also Metro Exodus Sam story running now overnight to be sure about stability. But i will be greatful for advices. DANE :) I use english i am not german

This has happened ONCE since you built your pc?
Really?
Please go to bed ....

• Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: Asghan
  • Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: Asghan und sew333
It seems that you can simply proove the issue with that CAM Software by closing it completely after Boot :-)

And just wat for an update of that Software until u use it again. Btw. what does it do? Maybe you can just completely get rid of it without any real downside?
The Name implies some LED or FAn controlling stuff? (Just configure The Fans ind the Bios Properly - so They run always even when starting DOS/Bootstick/Linux etc. ...

• Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: mae1cum77
Question again. It has happended only once since you built your pc or does is happen from time to time or often?
If only once, it could be a problem with CAM.
Mabye it is a hardware problem, but how should we be able to determine this with only some hardware specs and the result of the "problem"?
Did you check the event log?
Did you start your pc with CAM software not running as a test?

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
After few hours of idling on Windows 10 desktop, when i go to use pc, i run Google chrome and then all started slowly freezed/hangs. I mean i was able to touch/move mouse, but all stops responding. Chrome,search bar,start button slowly stops responding. Then i make ctrl alt delete and black screen with blue circle. Caps lock stops working. So i make hard reset.
It happened once that hang of system.

I checked event logs during that time and no events,0 errors. I only hard rebooted pc with finger.
I had only in background: Msi Afterburner,NZXT cam,Epic launcher.

I run Karhu Ram test - no errors

Pc is not overclocked. Only XMP profile. And games are never crash also.

So, it COULD be a hardeware issue, but I think it's a software problem. Did you disable the CAM software?
Please try this first, other people also have problems with this software a the moment (as far as I can see in the other thread from #3).
You got no problems if your pc is working really hard.
Maybe you should try also memtet86+ (you will find this as a part of the Ultimate Boot CD)
https://www.computerbase.de/downloads/systemtools/ultimate-boot-cd/

• Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: mae1cum77
Ok, you don't want to use memtest86+.
I prefer to use a software not running with windows.

Did you disable the CAM software?

Ok, please report back if it was a temporary solution for you.

One last question: Did you recently install NXZT CAM software or was there an update for this software?

I installed NZXT cam month ago,the same version.

Also somebody said this to me:"
Many possible causes- you name it, it could happen.
PSU, RAM, disk, timing issues, dodgy hardware, overheating (any evidence?), overclocking (are you?), software bug, mismatched RAM (is all correct and consistent?)...."

So it can be my hardware?

No one can tell you your definite Problem because there are many possibilities. Best practice ist to stick with the most likely first or with the cheapest/moste easyest fixes.
And if you want to know the cause of the problem only try one possible solution then Test then the next possible solution...

So just disable The Cam Software for some Weeks, wait and see. Also your Problem is for now a really small one if it is only crashin if you dont use is for so long time.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Wait. I remember. On this day i running Metro Exodus . Then i quit game . After few hours of idling it happens during using Chrome. Maybe something after Metro glitched driver?

There is no person in this universe who can tell you what's going wrong with you pc.
I finished Metro Exodus some days ago and I had never ever problems after I leave the game. The game itself has some annoying bugs, but my pc was solid as a rock. :D

Please read again #15 and follow the instructions ...

I most likely agree with NZXT cam beeing the problem. It really sounds like a not enouth free RAM issue. It could also be any other software or even an hardware driver with a memory leak.

ya, follow #15 ^^ - some ideas:

You should make sure that you properly have uninstalled all the traces this NZXT leaves in your system.
Do you have a second monitor? On 24/7 you can also keep it open on the main screen of course.
Anyway I recommend keeping windows task manager open on the details page. Add at least "peak working set (memory)", "private working set (memory)" and "commit size (memory)". If commit size rises and private working set doesn't - its an indicator of that program not cleaning up its mess behind itself. Windows will compress and move the unused object in RAM to the pagefile to make more space for actual used private working sets available. - make sure to use task manager in admin mode.

You should also once in a while have a look at the bottom of the performance > memory page. Not the diagram, but on the bottom there is a line for hardware reserved ram - wich will not show up on the detailed page. Like hardware reserved caches of some SSDs to boost performance without putting expensive RAM on the SSD itself. Also all hardware without an own processing unit works this way - like USB headsets.

Tell us your observation results. Maybe it does not even occur again.

two short stories - because of no reason ^^

I had something similar once. I let my 24/7 server running with a windows update on queue for restart in the background. it accuulated all the RAM to the updater for whatever reason and all my running server processes crashed over time after beeing put in the pagefile to free the RAM to be used for... yeah for what ?! Anyway after the windows update and restart everything was fine again and my server ran for months without a single restart again unless a windows update might crash it again.

If you are a once in a lifetime unlucky man and as long as you said it happened once I was about to say it could also be a random bit flip in a critical part of your RAM - wich is a totally normal thing to appear once in a while for some hundreds of hours runtime, this is why 24/7 servers have propper ECC RAM modules, also happens more likely with cabling next to RAM heat/cold cycles of the CPU and a bad grounded cases on sun flare active days. And if this happens to a bit of program code, maybe deleting objects or a pointer shift calculation, you would see this. gambling is for loosers. ;)

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Last question. I remember that when i make CTRL ALT DELETE ,then black screen apeared with blue circle ( instead of mouse arrow ) and then mouse stops responding and keyboard. Caps Lock stops worked. So Windows 10 get locked. Anyway it doesnt mean hardware issue necesarry?

It feels like you just want someone to tell you - go and buy new Hardware :D
I don't stop you...
On Topic: It can totaly be just an Software issue.

• Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: sew333
Zurück
Oben