30-33% cpu 12900K usage - terrible Watch Dogs Legion performance on 3090 Ti

sew333

Lt. Junior Grade
Hello,its my 3rd topic. Sorry again.

I have some serious problems with gaming performance of RTX 3090 Ti Gigabyte Gaming and 12900K. First of all, I provide my computer specs :

12900K with NZXT KRAKEN X73 ( 50-60C in game )

2x16GB DDR4 KINGSTON DDR4 3600MHZ in GEAR 1

RTX 3090 Ti Gigabyte Gaming

Aorus Z690 Elite DDR4 bios F5

SSD 1 TB NVM PCIE

Seasonic 1300W Prime Platinum

Problem description : While testing WD:Legion performance of installed GPU, I noticed that its usage is abnormally low. In fact, I am unable to reach a “healthy” 99% GPU usage. I thought that it was due to bad optimization.

Let’s evaluate the hardware behavior in this game. Let’s assume that in location “X” .I have 120 FPS at 1080p on Ultra preset with DLSS “OFF” and RT "OFF". The GPU usage stays around ~80%. That’s a terrible disappointment. I up resolution to 1440P and still have the same 120 FPS, but with GPU usage of 90%.

Setting DLSS to “Performance” - the GPU usage drops down to 60-70% and the FPS remains at 120fps.

Msi Afterburner reporting cpu 30-33% usage.

After seeing multiple YouTube videos recorded on same hardware with usage at constant 99% - I became concerned about the situation.

For sure, V-sync and Frame Limiters were disabled. I revealed that the only way to experience full GPU usage (99%) is to max out RT to ULTRA and turn off DLSS, and run the game in native resolution 1440P.

Thats the issue. Now the positive sides. My scores in 3dmark ( port royal , timespy,speedway,cpu profile timespy ) are accurate for 12900K and 3090 ti. ( normal usage ). In Cyberpunk 2077,Quake 2 rtx,Control have good 95-100% usage.

Can someone explain me issue with WD:Legion?

PS:

I reinstalled windows 11 22H2 ,updated msi afterburner, tried 3 versions of drivers,still no go. Other programs are closed in background. Nothing more using cpu.

Where is the Issue you are talking about?
If GPU is at 80% and no fps drops occour everything is fine from my stand of view...
Try disabling the fps limit, and you are at 100% GPU usage - but i dont get why thats the goal you are trying to achive...

Or am i missing something?

I up resolution to 1440P and still have the same 120 FPS, but with GPU usage of 90%.

Setting DLSS to “Performance” - the GPU usage drops down to 60-70% and the FPS remains at 120fps.

Upping resolution not decreasing fps. Also changing to DLSS performance not increasing fps. Only lowering usge.

On 1280x720 have 60-70% usage. When someone on youtube with the same pc have 98% usage.

Yes, and thats completely normal - DLSS is lowering the amount of GPU Load with (nearly) the same visual output - that is what its for.
If you "need" your GPU at full load, try 4k resolution - but then again, i dont get why you are trying so hard to achieve 100% GPU Load.

• Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: derin
And? What is the issue?
Sure, DLSS reduces GPU usage. Thats the point of DLSS.
What do you want? More FPS than 120?
With a 3090 ti and DLSS on 1440p I bet you're in CPU Limit.

yeah ok. But why i have the same fps on 1080P like on 1440P? Gpu usage is only different.

1080p and 1440p 120fps lock? check the driver for vsync on driver or ingame. both can be the problem. disable it.

sew333 schrieb:
When someone on youtube with the same pc have 98% usage.
Don't compare your situation to others on youtube, they won't have the exact same hardware, peripherals and settings like you.

sew333 schrieb:
But why i have the same fps on 1080P like on 1440P?
V-Sync? 120Hz monitor with G-Sync? Framelimit in nvidia control panel?

• Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: Baal Netbeck
I assume, that is an fps-Limitation in Game - if you can disable that limit, your fps would be higher in 1080.
Try setting to 4k and i bet the fps will drop significantly

Frame Limiter?

12900K,rtx 3090 . Look at usage. 1280x720 resolution. 95% usage and higher fps. I have 70-80% usage on the same settings and 30 fps less. Why?

But my refresh is 165hz. Also frame limiters are off. Vsync off.

Mach Raytracing an, dann hast du 100% GPU-Auslastung!

Übirgens ist es NICHT healthy 99% GPU usage!

80% Auslastung ist gesünder für die Graffikkarte, als wenn ALLES am Anschlag arbeiten muss!

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
  • Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: RiversOnRevers
Hi, sounds a bit like you have a GSYNC Panel that is capable of 120 Hz ... so having GSYNC turned on results in a limitation to 120 fps .... try turn gsync off and have more fps. But i dont see any benefits of having the gpu maxed out if you already have buttersmooth 120 fps.

Do you drive your car always reving into the limiter, just because it is able to ?

If your system only needs 90% of its power to get your 120 fps, maybe limited by gsync, there is no way to get a higher usage without cranking up the load by adding rtx or some other features...

So really .. whats the point of max using the hardware? Do you activate Prime95 on 4 cores to get 100% CPU usage just because ur game only uses 50% of your 8 core CPU ???

Also why setting DLSS to “Performance” - the GPU usage drops down to 60-70% and the FPS remains at the same fps.

I have GSYNC monitor with 165hz not 120. Vsync is off i told.:)

And we told you already a few times, that this is the whole point of using DLSS!!!!

Zurück
Oben