[Vorstellung] NoteBook FanControl (NBFC)

Hallo Grantig,

toll was du da ausgearbeitet hast, nur kenne ich mich mit sowas echt nicht gut aus. Ich hatte mein Acer Aspire M5-581TG grad beim Acersupport damit die mir den Lüfter wechseln weil der bei diesem Modell echt unerträglich laut wird um die Temperatur unter 48° zu halten. Bis 48° springt er garnicht an und dann heult er auf. Leider sind alle Versuche den Lüfter über die Energieoptionen oder andere Programme ruhig zu bekommen gescheitert.
Nach gewechselten Lüfter durch Acer musste ich dann feststellen das sich an der Lautstärke nichts getan hat :freak:. Hätte ich beim Kauf gewusst das der bei einem Ultrabook so unerträglich werden kann hätte ich ein anderes Modell genommen.
Gibt es vielleicht jemanden der für das M5 eine Config parat hat?

.NET Runtime error details in event viewer (event ID 1026):

Application: NbfcService.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
Stack:
at StagWare.FanControl.FanControl.ResetEc()
at StagWare.FanControl.FanControl.Finalize()

Application error details in event viewer (follows the .NET error almost immediately, event ID 1000)

Faulting application name: NbfcService.exe, version: 1.1.0.17, time stamp: 0x537dea78
Faulting module name: StagWare.FanControl.ni.dll, version: 2.1.0.17, time stamp: 0x537de756
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000126b8
Faulting process ID: 0xcc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d04c7801dcf621
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\NoteBook FanControl\NbfcService.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_64\StagWare.FanControl\93e55094898391d627b07a1b66ce0763\StagWare.FanControl.ni.dll
Report ID: 7527825f-b884-11e4-826c-08002700246f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Grantig schrieb:
@NitroXRoG
Since NBFC runs as a service (and thus in an isolated session), it has no access to the GPU - I'm sorry.
The Zenbook's CPU and GPU are connected by heatpipes, so it is fine to use the CPU temperature to trigger both, the CPU fan as well as the GPU fan.

About your config:
You could remove all the register write requests from you config.
Maybe these are the reason for the weird behavior.

Oh, I understand now. Well it is pretty fine because the GPU and CPU for the G751 also share the same heatsink so the temps are quite rising both at the same time but with different peaks of temperature. It's ok now that I know that this isn't an issue with the config :).

I am now testing my profile again with nothing set at "Register write configuration" and it's working fine until now. I must test it for a couple of days in order to give a final response if the random "Enter" or random maximum fan bursts are gone entirely.

Though I'm curious of why the program can manage the CPU/GPU vents by reading the CPU temp but it can't by reading the GPU temp. Is the GPU temperature reading blocked in some way for other programs ? It can only be managed by Nvidia specific software ?

And, another question. If I will delete the GPU configuration from my profile, will the fan run at it's default settings ? Or will it just be turned off? Because I was thinking of just configuring the CPU fan since the CPU is the one with the temperature problem.

Thank you very much for your response and I'm looking forward to your message :D ! Have a nice day!

Vielen Dank für das tolle Tool!

Mein Medion Akoya P6612 hatte die wohl schlechteste Lüfterregelung, die man sich so vorstellen kann. Bei aufwendigen Anwendungen hat es zuerst die Hardware-Leistung stark reduziert, ehe es den Lüfter anschubste.

In NBFC funktioniert das Profil für das P6630 einwandfrei mit meinem Laptop. Jetzt kann der Lüfter endlich die ganze Zeit fleißig arbeiten und ich muss nicht mit FPS-Anstiegen und Einbrüchen kämpfen. Es ist so herrlich.

hallo Grantig,
dein Programm hat mir sehr geholfen, da mein Notebook fast unbrauchbar geworden ist. Man bedenke, es war das teuere hp envy 17 3D Modell. Jetzt kann ich auf volle Last fahren, ohne Leistungseinbrüche zu bekommen, da ich die Lüfter ab jetzt manuell ansteuern kann. Zwar ist mein Laptop nicht in der Liste dabei, mit einem Trick ging dein Programm aber trotzdem. Vielen dank dir. Tolle Programmierleistung.
:)

Grantig schrieb:
@Trump_431

@NitroXRoG
Since NBFC runs as a service (and thus in an isolated session), it has no access to the GPU - I'm sorry.
The Zenbook's CPU and GPU are connected by heatpipes, so it is fine to use the CPU temperature to trigger both, the CPU fan as well as the GPU fan.

About your config:
You could remove all the register write requests from you config.
Maybe these are the reason for the weird behavior.

I have done as you said with the register/write requests from my config. I have deleted everything from "Register write configuration" and the problem with random "Enter" is still there. I have also tested more profiles from ASUS: Zenbook UX32L, UX32VD, UX51VZA, N56VZ, N550JV and I have the same problem with all of them, not only with my G751 config. I think it may be a problem within the program. Maybe something wrong with the NBFC service config that interacts with something from the G751.

It's so freaking annoying and I can't seem to find what causes the "Enter" key strokes... To be honest, I first noticed it when I was watching a movie and obviously I wasn't doing anything else than sitting in my bed. I have also read your NotebookFanControl guide on how to make a new config from 0, but I saw that the interface presented in the guide is different from the interface of the latest NBFC version.

I will also try to install an older version to see if it is something wrong with the program itself and not the profiles.

PS: For a last try I have deleted all "Write/Read" lines from the config that I used, even those from the CPU/GPU fan configuration and I still got the damn random "Enter" key stroke -_- .

I would really appreciate a further opinion on this subject as it drives me crazy and I've spent days trying to solve this issue :(.

EDIT: I just tried now a config for the Lenovo Yoga 13 and it seems that I don't get the "Enter" problem anymore but I also can't manage the fans. But this proves that indeed something from the configs of ASUS models is doing something wrong for the G751. And I strongly believe that it is something with the "Read register and Write Register" from the fan configurations. Is there any way that I could find what is wrong with those values and to find a way to correct this issue ?

Later EDIT: Ok, so I have read the user guide for NotebookFanControl all day long and I have used RWEverything in order to check the Read/Write register. The fact is that the Read/Write registers are indeed 151 and 152 which are present in most ASUS configs. One issue that I've encountered was at the part where you say that we might have a Read Register and a Write Register separately but it seems that in this case, the Read and Write registers are both the same because I can't find any other values that change along with the fan speed. Well, this was pretty much expected since the ASUS Zenbook profile was already good to control both my fans. But I still don't seem to find out why I get those random "Enter" issues.

By the way, while using RWEverything it seems that I can't set the fan speed by changing the values from the table because after 4-5 secs the value resets to it's default value. I think this is because the Read/Write registers are the same ?!? But I'm pretty sure that 151 is Read/Write for CPU and 152 is Read/Write for GPU so checking with Prime95 was just a test to see if the values from the ASUS configs were right.

Now, as for the reset value I can't seem to be able to write "0xFF or 0x00" to any of those two registers (151 or 152). But it seems that using the default reset value, which is 8, it does the job. Although when I disable NBFC by unchecking the box from the program window "Fan control service enabled" my GPU fan always goes on maximum speed (which coresponds to value "08" in the Table). Is there a way to change it's behavior or is it normal to go like this ? The CPU fan doesn't do like this.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
@romasik
I have sent you a link to the latest beta.

@XRD_
It's a bug in NBFC v.1.1.0.17.
I fixed it in the latest version (v.1.1.0.19).

@RockyRaccoon
Danke für die Info und für die Spende! :)
Ich werd ne Config fürs P6612 beim nächsten Release mitliefern.

@konnichi
Freut mich, dass NBFC dir hilft.
Würdest du mir den Trick verraten, mit dem du es auf deinem Notebook zum laufen bekommen hast? ;)
(damit evtl. auch andere davon profitieren)

@NitroXRoG
Windows services can't access the graphics driver for security reasons. NBFC just communicates with the EC to control the fans.

Maybe you should try building a config from scratch.
Just start the config editor, create a new (empty) config, add only one fan, do the basic configuration, then save it and give it a try. If it does not work, decrease the poll interval by 500ms, then save and apply. Repeat this step until it works.
If your config works for one fan without any weird errors, you can add the second fan.

@Download Probleme
Ich werde im Laufe der Woche alles auf github werfen NBFC ist jetzt auf github verfügbar, damit hat OneDrive als Downloadquelle ausgedient ;)

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Grantig schrieb:
@NitroXRoG
Windows services can't access the graphics driver for security reasons. NBFC just communicates with the EC to control the fans.

Maybe you should try building a config from scratch.
Just start the config editor, create a new (empty) config, add only one fan, do the basic configuration, then save it and give it a try. If it does not work, decrease the poll interval by 500ms, then save and apply. Repeat this step until it works.
If your config works for one fan without any weird errors, you can add the second fan.

Thank you very much for the response and advice. I did make a profile from scratch just yesterday but I used both fan cofigurations as it was in Zenbook UX32LN. I will make one from scratch with only one fan just now. I don't actually need to control the GPU fan since the GPU fan is workin quite good. The speed of the fan goes to like 70-80% when the temps reaches 75C so it is good. If I push it to 100% the temp of the GPU stays on 70C but the fan is too damn loud and I don't want to push it that hard. These being said I will start a profile with only the CPU fan since that one is poorly optimized and only goes to 80% when it reaches 90C -_- (what we're those guys thinking !?! ).

The fact is that in these last 3 days, since I read your Noteebook Fan Guide I kept my eyes on the EC Table with RWEverything all the time. What I have found is that the weird behavior might come from the fact that there are random values that are written in the EC Table (See the pics below). I don't know why those values are getting written because in my config I only used the 151 and 152 registers. I will upload that profile here so you can see what I'm talking about.

So, here is the pic with the EC Controller. This is a comparison between Normal EC Values after I uninstalled NBFC and reseted the EC by holding the power button of the laptop for 10secs (On the left, with the fewer values), and the EC Values from when I had the NBFC enabled for like 1 day of use (the config which I uploaded here). Those random values got written by something and I don't really know what. And the values do not dissapear until I reset the laptop with the 10secs like I said. After that I kept RWEverything running all the time and I checked the values every once in a while. BY now I already learnt what values are normal and what values should not be there ... That example was the worst I've ever had until now (that I actually saw with the RW Everything) and I think it was due to the fact that I changed the profiles a couple of times.

Here is the link to the config "G751JY (6Steps)", and there you have some other screenshots with the EC Table with NBFC and Normal EC After reset https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F29DB39AE83CBE6D!712&authkey=!AFhpZeEM2ZEH4fI&ithint=folder,rw

EC Comparison.jpg

Thank you very much! I'm sorry for bugging all the time with my profile but I really want to make one that is stable so I can share it with other RoG Owners. I'm doing my best at the moment considering that I do not have any specialization in IT or Informatics... Lucky for me that I'm studying engineering and I'm a patient guy :)).

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
@XRD_
It's a bug in NBFC v.1.1.0.17.
I fixed it in the latest version (v.1.1.0.19).

I tried completely uninstalling 1.1.0.17 and then installing from the download link in the original post but the .exe version is still showing up as .17... am I doing something wrong?! Thanks for your help.

Screenshot 2015-02-24 23.00.29.png

Try uninstalling and a registry cleaner like the one from TuneUp Utilities or any other reliable one.

@NitroXRoG
Your screenshot looks like something is interferring with NBFC's read/write operations - maybe RWEverything itself. I do not recommend running NBFC and RWEveryhting in parallel more than some minutes, especially if you set the poll intervall to a value < 1000ms.
In general you should disable all applications which could interfere with NBFC (e.g. hardware monitoring tools) if you encounter any problems.

@XRD_
Doesn't look wrong to me. I haven't updated the client version because the client was'nt affected by the update.
Check Windows programs and features if the latest version is installed:
version.png

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hallo Grantig,

zunächst mal ein großes Kompliment für dieses super Programm. Es begleitet mich auf meinem Zenbook UX32VD seit 2 Jahren und hat mir treue Dienste geleistet. Seit ein paar Tagen habe ich allerdings (ohne etwas an der Systemkonfiguration oder an NBFC zu ändern) das gleiche Problem wie Sputnik, gepostet vor ein paar Monaten:

Sputnik123 schrieb:
Thanks for a fantastic program!

I´ve been running the software on my asus ux32v for quite some time. It has worked flawlessly until now. I´ve tried many diffrent settings but can´t find any solutions for the problem.

Nowdays the fan is running at either 100% or nothing. Although the fan configuration says it should run at the speed of 12.5 %.

Is there any solution for this error?

Die Temperatur-Treshholds von NBFC funktionieren (nutze noch die alten Beta-Versionen, aber auch bei den neueren Versionen tritt das Problem auf) einwandfrei, aber die Lüfterstärke ist immer 100%, auch wenn 12,5% oder andere Werte eingestellt sind.

Kennst Du hierfür eine Lösung oder einen Ansatz?
Danke
Hans

Grantig schrieb:
@NitroXRoG
Your screenshot looks like something is interferring with NBFC's read/write operations - maybe RWEverything itself. I do not recommend running NBFC and RWEveryhting in parallel more than some minutes, especially if you set the poll intervall to a value < 1000ms.
In general you should disable all applications which could interfere with NBFC (e.g. hardware monitoring tools) if you encounter any problems.

Well, in that case I do have serous problems since I was always using MSI Afterburner+HWMonitor+Aida64+HWInfo to monitor my temps and the FAN RPM. It could be that one of those programs are interfering with NBFC . I will come back with news if I find the source of the problem.

By the way, I did made yesterday a new profile with just 1 fan for the CPU and until now I didn't got any random "Enter" and I left the laptop running all night, so that means +8hours with no "Enter" problems. But I do have 2 random values written in the EC Table and now my maximum battery capacity has gone from 90000 to 89000. I will test it further like this and see if the "Enter" problem appear in the next 6-7 hours. Afterwards I will reset the EC and try to use the NBFC without any sort of monitoring and without RWEverything.

Sorry to be a pain, I tried using it as regular and then tried completely uninstalling/cleaning/reinstalling didn't sort it for me either, the service is running but as soon as check the 'fan control service enabled' box, the service stops and the selected config goes blank. Event viewer details:

Application Error:

Faulting application name: NbfcService.exe, version: 1.1.0.17, time stamp: 0x537dea78
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00007ff9a59c7bd5
Faulting process ID: 0x12f8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d0512ddf586527
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\NoteBook FanControl\NbfcService.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report ID: 22cdb4af-bd21-11e4-8271-6057180be1fd
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

.NET Runtime error:

Application: NbfcService.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException
Stack:
at StagWare.FanControl.FanControl.ResetEc()
at StagWare.FanControl.FanControl.Finalize()

Edit: just to confirm in programs it is definitely displaying as 1.1.1.19

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:
@HansFrischdampf
Du könntest prüfen was du installiert hast (programme/windows updates/firmware updates/bios updates) kurz bevor das Problem aufgetretet ist.

Daszu kannst du z.B. in Windows Programme und Funktionen nach Installationsdatum sortieren, oder dir den Windows Update Verlauf anschauen.

@XRD_
I sent you a link to the latest beta build.
Check out if it solves the problem.

NitroXRoG schrieb:
I was always using MSI Afterburner+HWMonitor+Aida64+HWInfo
Way too much stuff ;)
I'm pretty sure Aida64 could maybe cause problems. Haven't used any of the other tools together with NBFC, but I guess HWMonitor and HWInfo can also cause trouble.

Grantig schrieb:
@HansFrischdampf
Du könntest prüfen was du installiert hast (programme/windows updates/firmware updates/bios updates) kurz bevor das Problem aufgetretet ist.

Daszu kannst du z.B. in Windows Programme und Funktionen nach Installationsdatum sortieren, oder dir den Windows Update Verlauf anschauen.

Danke für die Antwort. Toll dass du hier Support gibst :)

Es war definitiv ein Software-Problem mit einem anderen Programm, evtl. was mit meinem Grafik-Treiber den ich vor kurzer Zeit aktualisiert habe. Da es aber eh mal Zeit für ein frisches Aufsetzen des Systems war, habe ich das gemacht. Alles wieder im grünen Bereich. Ich weiß zwar nicht, was los war, aber es tut wieder alles wie es soll.

Zurück
Oben