[Vorstellung] NoteBook FanControl (NBFC)

That beta worked - thank you so much! Fantastic support.

Edit: ok, this is a REALLY weird bug I think I have found... please hear me out, I tested extensively! Ok, so if the NBFC service is running within Windows, it causes my Asus Fn key to act as a backspace key if held for a few seconds... sometimes I leave it pressed for pressing Fn + Down (Page Down shortcut) and it kept going back a page in Chrome, and it was driving me crazy, I got a Keypress application to see what was happening, and it seemed every few seconds of holding the Fn key, a 'backspace' signal was pressed as well. Weird right?? So I tried Safe Mode, and it didn't happen, and the only thing I had installed was NBFC latest beta, so I booted into regular Windows, started the service, pressed the Fn key and then a couple of seconds in, backspace pressed, turned the service off, pressed the Fn key, and nothing. Repeated the process and it definitely seems to be linked to the NBFC servcie somehow causing it!!!

Sorry for finding such a weird bug...

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:
@XRD_ :
Try looking at the EC Table with RWEverything because you might find weird values written there. I also were experiencing some weird behavior with random "Enter" keystrokes without even touching the keyboard/mouse and I have found that something was interfering with NBFC and with the Embedded Controller (EC), and some weird values were written there. Other weird stuff happened but not too often were: showing different maximum battery capacities, fan's bursting into full speed suddenly, battery led blinking orange, laptop going into sleep mode, battery not recognized. All of them problems were solved by reseting the EC by holding down the power button for 10 secs after a restart (jut after the bios appears).

Maybe it is the same happening to you with the Backspace thing. You should check for apps like HWMonitor, HWInfo, Aida64, and other apps that monitor your hardware because for me it seems that one of them is causing the problem with "Enter" key. What can I say is good luck and have patience !

Zuletzt bearbeitet: (Zitat entfernt)
@XRD_
Thanks for your donation! :)
Glad to hear the latest beta works for you.

About your problems:
I agree with NitroXRoG. Could be the same problems he has. Please make sure there is no other software running which could intefere with NBFC.

@NitroXRoG
Do you still have problems, even without all those monitoring tools?

@Grantig: Nope. It seems that now it is fine. I have done a new profile from scratch, with only the CPU fan being controlled. I have tested both fans with Prime95+OCCT without NBFC and I have seen that the GPU fan is already working pretty well. Like it enters the 5th speed state ("05" in EC Table) when the GPU temp reaches 75C. 5th state represents about 75% of the fans total speed and the maximum speed is at "06" state, but at "06" the fan is too loud and it clearly doesn't make sense to use NBFC. Besides that, while using NBFC the fan will trigger only when the CPU temp changes so it is more safe this way.
As for the CPU, when I made the test I practically proved that the default CPU fan profile is poorly made because while the GPU enters 5th state at 75C, the CPU enters 5th state only at 90C... it is too lazy. And, the CPU fan does have different maximum speed than the GPU one. So, the maximum CPU speed, which corresponds to "06" state in EC Table is equal to the 5th state of the GPU. I can't practically show this because I haven't found any software that can show me the GPU fan rpm, thus I only made the conclusions by feeling the air flow in the back of the notebook and by using my ears.

But now, after 1 week of daily testing and verifying the EC constantly I can say that the current profile is 90% stable. I didn't experience anymore "Enter" issues and I didn't got any random values written in the EC Table. I would like to send you the profile and check if it is indeed ok. Maybe something should need improved. I would like to do this job until the end and make an official profile for the G751.

Here is the link to the profile: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=F29DB39AE83CBE6D!766&authkey=!AGWQurkNXivtlNw&ithint=file,xml

And here is a link to the thread where I have explained each step that I have made, if you further want to know about how I proceeded with making the profile: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...ficial-NotebookFanControl-G751JY-Profile-quot

By the way, I can still use HWMonitor+HWInfo+MSI Afterburner without problems. I think AIda64 was the head of trouble. And I have noticed something just yesterday. If I keep the NBFC Software opened, I also get the "Enter" Issues. So, practically it is advisable to install it and only open it when you need to change something for the profiles. But I do need to further inspect this issue.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Moin,

super Sache mit dem Tool! Bin Besitzer eines Sony Vaio Flip 14A mit Core-i5 4200U, Windows 8.1 x64 und warte schon lange auf eine Möglichkeit, dem Lüfter Einhalt zu gebieten.

Ich habe das zweite Profil von Der_Broker (Link) ausprobiert und das Polling Intervall auf 2000 ms gesetzt. Es funktioniert wunderbar!

Unter Last wird der Prozessor auf 60 °C gehalten. Ab diesem Wert springt der Lüfter an, dreht aber wesentlich leiser als vorher. Und im idle geht der Lüfter ganz aus.

Vielen vielen Dank!

@ NitroXRoG
I'm glad you could finally resolve all those errors :)
I published your config in my repository. Thank you very much for your effort!

@ Cursy
Freut mich, dass NBFC dir hilft! :)

Treten irgendwelche Probleme auf, die Der_Broker beschrieben hat?
Falls nicht, wäre es super wenn du mir deine Config zukommen lassen würdest, damit ich sie veröffentlichen kann.

Nach längerem Einsatz habe ich bemerkt, dass der Laptop mit Throttling anfängt, wenn er längere Zeit zwischen 60 °C und 70 °C arbeitet. Dabei wird der Takt auf ~800 MHz festgesetzt. Um diesen Zustand aufzuheben, muss der Laptop einige Minuten idle bleiben, sodass die Temperatur Richtung 50 °C sinkt.

Probleme mit dem Akku sind bei mir bis jetzt nicht aufgetreten.

Hier die Config:Anhang anzeigen Sony Vaio Flip SVF14N2C5E.zip

Kennt sich jemand mit ThrottleStop aus bzw. wie ich es konfigurieren muss, damit der Laptop nicht einschläft?

@Grantig : It was and is my pleasure!
Well, I didn't quite solve all the errors because I am still getting some weird maximum/minimum readings in HWMonitor/HWInfo from time to time, but they aren't influencing the system in any way. As you can see in the screenshot below, I got 100rpm minimum speed value and 5700rpm maximum speed value, which neither is true. The fan has a minimum rpm of 2200rpm and a maximum of 3500. But, as I said, those strange values aren't influencing how the fan works, they just appear as reading errors.
The same applies for the battery capacity. You can see in the right image that the maximum battery capacity reading was at 258.225Wh when the normal maximum capacity if 90.0000Wh. I would have loved to have a 260.000Wh battery but I know for sure that isn't true :)). Just like in the other case, these values do not influence by any means the good functionality of the system. They just appear for a second or something like that.

Here you have the image: HW Monitor odd readings.png

I believe that these values are appearing due to some minor interference in the EC Table which may write a random value in the battery register but the value is then resetted automatically by the EC to the default one. I have seen this kind of interference while I was testing the 100ms Poll Interval which was lighting up the EC Table like a Christmas tree . After that, I have set it to 500ms Poll Interval and the interference was gone and I didn't get any random values written in the EC for more than a week. Now I don't know if those maximum/minimum values are also caused by the EC Poll Interval or by the Monitoring softwares. I would love to solve these errors but this may not have any solution in the end.

I will try to test some other poll interval values but if I raise the value too much, then the NBFC would have problems overwriting the default values of the fan and the speed wouldn't remain constant. I have tested with 1000ms and there were still speed fluctuations due to default speed values being written over the NBFC speed values.

In conclusion, I am happy that I have managed to understand how this software works and I am very grateful for all the work you guys have put up to make it. I saw that you were saying something about a new version which is in beta at the moment. Do you have any release date or any release feeds with the changes made :)?

Liebe Mitglieder!

Auch ich wollte mich am NBFC versuchen, um mein Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14 etwas zu zähmen. Ständig geht der Lüfter geräuschvoll an und ich weiß nicht warum :/ Einziges Problem (glaube ich zumindest) bei NBFC ist, dass das Profil trotz des Drückens von "apply" nicht im Fenster "Selected Config" erscheint und auch der Haken bei "fan control service enabled" nur 3 Sekunden bleibt und dann wieder verschwindet. Folglich reguliert sich mein Lüfter leider auch nicht. Habe ich bei der Installation vielleicht irgendetwas übersehen? Ich gestehe, dass ich mir nur die Kurzanleitung durchgelesen habe!

Vielen Dank
Theresa

Hi,
das neue Lenovo Yoga 3-14 (Win8.1, i5-5200U und SSD) nervt mit zu lautem Lüfter.
Leider ist selbst im Leerlauf (0,77Ghz) bei kalten Gehäuse der Lüfter ständig am laufen.
„Passiv“-Kühlung im Energieprofil brachte keine Änderung.

Dann begann das experimentieren:
- PFControl v0.9.2 zeigt perfekt die Akkudaten, findet die Sensoren aber nicht und die manuelle Steuerung geht nicht.
- TPFanControl v062 zeigt unsinnige Temperaturen und die manuelle Steuerung
geht ebenfalls nicht.
Ich vermute, es liegt am Treiber TvicPort v41 oder am Intel(R) 8 Series LPC Controller (Premium SKU) – 9CC3 der eine andere Ansteuerung benötigt.

- NoteBook FanControl (NBFC) zeigte keine Temperaturen, keines der vier Lenovo Profile ging manuell.
- SpeedFan zeigt wohl die richtige Temperatur der SSD (27°C) aber zu niedrige (8°C) für die Kerne. Das war's soweit.

Ich habe dann noch kurz mit dem TP Yoga S1 12“ (Controller 9C43) probiert mit gleichen Ergebnissen.

Hat jemand Erfahrungen mit den neuen Lenovo's bzw. Chipsätzen oder kennt jemand eine Lösung?
Für eine Hilfe wären wir sehr Dankbar.

@ Cursy
Danke für die Config!
Ich denke ich werde noch ein paar extra Thresholds einbauen um das throttling zu vermeiden und das ganze dann veröffentlichen.

@NitroXRoG
I don't have an exact release date, yet. I plan to release the next version in April.
You can watch my repo (or just check the site from time to time if you don't have a github account): NBFC@github

@MikeyHH.de & tara_puenktchen
Eure CPUs sind relativ neu, deswegen werden sie von NBFC nicht erkannt und deshalb verweigert auch der Service den Dienst.

Ich habe euch nen Link zur aktuellen beta geschickt. Damit sollte NBFC eure CPUs unterstützen.

Hallo Grantig,

vielen Dank für Deine prompte Antwort und die Beta.
Nun zeigt nbfc plausible Temperaturen an. Im Idle mode von ca. 33°C und bei Vollast von 64°C (Lüfter dreht hoch) für den Yoga 3-14". Nur steuern lässt sich noch nichts. Hab die Lenovo config's und 80JH probiert.

Anbei die Ergebnisse und die mit RW everyting protokollieren Werte.
Ich würde mich über einen Tipp freuen, der mir helfen könnte herauszufinden welche Register zur Steuerung geeignet sind.

Ist jemand ein Programm bekannt mit dem man gezielt Last erzeugen z.B. 10%,20%,..,70%,80% etc. Mit Prime 95 bzw. HeavyLoad hab ich nur 100% erzielen können.

P.S: Das übersichtliche und einfach UI gefällt mit sehr gut.

Anhang anzeigen NoteBook FanControl 1.2.5.0.beta_Yoga3-14.txt

hey wollte dieses programm nutzen um meinen schreihals - hp dv7-6118eg - zum schweigen zu bringen. leider ist kein profil für das dv7 vorhanden. das profil zum dv6 ließt zwar die temperatur richtig aus, aber die lüftersteuerung funktioniert nicht.

verbaut ist ein 2630qm. sollte weitere infos benötigt werden stelle ich die gerne zu verfügung.

damdam019 schrieb:
Guten Morgen, erstmal Lob von mir wie es aussieht scheint dein Programm vielen Leuten weiterhelfen zu können.
Nur bei mir und meinem HP Pavilion DV7 6118eg mit Win 8.1 wills es zum verrecken nicht funktionieren!

Seit dem update auf Win 8.1 ist mir der Lüfter viel zu laut und HP Coolsense scheint auch nicht zu helfen, irgendwelche Tipps, Ideen?

@damdam019 hast du schon eine lösung gefunden ?

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hello,

I'm glad to see this project is still active.

I have an Asus Zenbook ux51vz-dh71 and I've tried using your app and it does not control it. It says it is at the target, but continues to be on full fan speed.

I'm not sure if it is directly supported as it says in config UX51VZA.

I would love for this to work as my co-workers are highly annoyed. Do you have any ideas. They stopped making BIOS updates for my laptop and only for the newer touch screen variant of the model. Supposedly the newer BIOS fix that, but when I try to flash the new one it says model numbers don't match.

Anyway, any help would be greatly apprciated. I can donate if it is something you think you can do.

Thank You,
Clayton

Ein paar neue Erkenntnisse zum Vaio Flip.

Ich habe die Temperatur Thresholds etwas angepasst:

50+ °C -> 14,3% Fanspeed
54+ °C -> 28,6% Fanspeed
58+ °C -> 42,9% Fanspeed
64+ °C -> 57,1% Fanspeed

In einem stillen Raum sind 57,1% schon recht laut. Alles darunter geht noch.

Das Problem: So ca. ab 63 °C fängt er schon an mit fem Throttling. Das heißt, wenn er ein paar min unter Last an diese Temp herankommt. Sobald er throttled, scheint es Einschränkungen mit der Lüftersteuerung zu geben. Sie lässt sich dann nicht mehr manuell verändern mit NBFC bis das Throttling wieder aufhört.

Hallo Grantig,
herzlichen dank für die tolle Arbeit!!!

Ich hab ebenfalls ein ganz neues Yoga 12 Notebook mit i7 Prozessor, Win 8.1. und SSD und der Lüfter nervt unglaublich. Kannst du mir ebenfalls einmal den Link zur Beta Version schicken? Ich teile dann auch gerne das Config File falls es noch etwas auszuprobieren gibt.

Danke und Grüße,
Namaro

Hey Namaro,
ich bin gespannt, ob du es mit deiner Config hinbekommst - bei mir läuft es noch nicht rund. Ständig springt der Lüfter an - grundlos und höllisch laut. Bin schwer am überlegen, ob ich das Laptop zum Support gebe. Dir also viel Glück!
Theresa

@Grantig

In wie fern kennst du dich mich C, Systemd und Linux aus? Wäre eine Portierung von dir für Linux (z.B. Arch :p) realisierbar? Also "nur" mit den ganz einfachen Grundfunktionen per Terminalanwendung ohne GUI.

EDIT:
So wie ich das gerade sehe, gibt es das schon für Linux, bzw. zumindest für Ubuntu, aber noch experimentell.

Grüße

Zuletzt bearbeitet von einem Moderator:
Läuft auch in meiner Manjaro VM, dürfte also auch auf Arch kein großes Problem sein.
Allerdings muss man den daemon noch per Hand starten, das CLI ist noch nicht perfekt und der daemon speichert seine settings nicht (ist wohl ein mono Problem).
Ich arbeite momentan daran diese Probleme zu lösen.

Zurück
Oben