First VR for pcvr: pico 4 vs others

dancal88

Cadet 2nd Year
Hallo zusammen, ich bin Italiener und benutze gerade Google Transalte. Ich habe dieses Forum zufällig gefunden und würde es gerne besuchen, weil ich von der VR-Welt fasziniert bin, aber ich weiß wirklich nicht, an wen um Rat fragen. Zum besseren Verständnis werde ich jetzt auf Englisch schreiben, aber wenn Sie es vorziehen, werde ich weiterhin Deutsch verwenden.
I have a very performing pc with a 3080 and 5600x. I really like virtual reality and I have no problem spending 1000-1500 euros. But it has to make sense.

I have been reading for days and I understand that it is a world that has grown a lot in recent years and in 2023 there will probably be 'complete' headseat, those produced so far have been a compromise with strengths and weaknesses and today the best should be the aero and the pimax 8kx. I don't have enough money for the aero because I want a complete station. I excluded the g2 because it has a very small point of focus, I excluded the quest 2 because it has few pixels. I bought the pico 4 but I can do the return it within a month, these are just my impressions: the pancake lenses are very nice and give a clean view, it works well even if the plastic (especially of the controllers) seems fragile to me, at this price it is however the best all-in-one viewer of the moment.

I rated the vive pro 2 but it costs too much in my opinion. The pimax 8kx remains but it is without a controller and I found it used for 900 euros, I'm afraid it's a disappointing expense (I'm not afraid of having to invest time for setup).

At this I thought to keep the pico 4 and wait for the pimax crystal which at around 1500 dollars should be a complete kit. My interest is playing triple A games (so mostly pcvr) but I wouldn't mind some interactive graphical title like half alyx, red matter, hubrix, lone echo etc.

Do you think I should spend more or with the update the pico 4 will be able to give graphic improvements? I have a 5ghz router 1 meter from the visor and the wireless works perfectly in my situation. There is a video of a famous youtuber testing pico 4 with a 4090 and calling it amazing (he usually uses aero).

Now I'm away for work but I already bought half alyx and I should try it as soon as I get home in two days.. Thank you all guys!

I think that for all it's worth, as expensive devices go the Pimax 8KX at least gives you a unique experience with the periphal view. But I can't bother with the finicky nature of setting up Pimax headsets for games individually. After the initial Virtual Desktop setup hurdles, the Quest 2 runs flawless.

Especially reviewers are fast at calling something amazing or the best, while users end up having to deal with the real frustrations that keep pushing people back to using a valve index and so on. Quest 2/Pico Link 3/Pico 4 are in my opinion the most balanced headsets, the more expensive options go 1 step forward and 2 steps back in many areas. This goes for the Pimax Crystal as well, tried it. While it seems that they made some improvements at CES, they haven't dealt with all the visual problems yet. If you use the Pico 4, and find it lacking, I would wait for the Quest 3.

On the 4090 part, I am playing FS2020 right now, you know what doesn't work for FS2020? DLSS 3, so I still can't hit 80 or 90 FPS without reprojection. Don't get me wrong, having the performance to push high supersampling and not using any reprojection in many games is a real benefit even with the Quest 2, but it's not a night and day difference. You could run FS2020 with your 3080 and a pico 4, with optimized settings from some youtube video, and will have a very similiar experience.

But let's say I want to spend 2500€, I would rather get a Pico 4 with a 4090, than a Pimax Crystal with a 3080.
A 4080 is btw not really worth it coming from a 3080 without DLSS 3.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
First of all thank you for answering me about everything. Speaking of gpu, I was planning on getting the 4080 later this year but if the 4090 comes down in price I might think about it but now is not the time.

About the visor: what didn't you like about the crystal?

Regarding the pimax 8kx I could get it for 900 euros. But first I want to try half alyx with the pico, if it's already impressive for me then I'll definitely keep it.

Unfortunately there is nothing as qualitative as the varjo aero.

dancal88 schrieb:
About the visor: what didn't you like about the crystal?
Bradleys_CES Imperssions
This basically sums it up. The "focal/diopter" issues are not reliably fixed yet. As long as this isn't 100% fixed, it's straight unusable.
Other than that, while FoV is fine or even good, they haven't implemented any masking area yet, so the displays are rectangulars with sharp edges, Pico 4 has a big round FoV which is more pleasent. And the binocular overlap is considerably smaller than with Pico 4, where it is nearly 100%. Only buy it after reliable reviews with easy return policy from amazon.

The Varjo Aero suffers from a small veritcal FoV, and a small binocular overlap, it's far from being the best. They all have downsides, but it's a lot easier to bite the bullet when the devices costs 500€, compared to devices for 1500€ or even 2500€ with the lighthouse set.

• Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: Kraeuterbutter
Really thanks for your reply. You confirmed my doubts, which are the same as all the Pimax, I was one step away from buying the 8kx model to try it, but at this point I won't: from some videos I notice that the Pimax have this big image distortion, many can stand it but I can't, it would bother me a lot. If this problem continues with the crystal, then I won't buy it from the site, I can try it from amazon conveniently when it becomes available.

Thank you also for letting me get off the pedestal the varjo aero. I understand that it still takes a lot of work to have a good vr headset. Certainly the best choice is something acceptable at an affordable price, and the pico 4 is undoubtedly the best at the moment. I am happy with the purchase.

What do you think instead of the model vive pro 1 and vive pro 2?

The vive 2 costs too much in my opinion and it's only a few pixels, instead I could have the vive 1 new with the whole kit for 1100 euro. I like that it has an oled screen but it has fewer pixels and I'm not sure about the overall graphics performance compared to the pico.

I basically hate having a small sweet spot (otherwise I would definitely have gotten the G2 for 600 euros brand new) and low resolution.

dancal88 schrieb:
What do you think instead of the model vive pro 1 and vive pro 2?
If you want to get a lighthouse setup, the Index is the most balanced headset in every way. It has issues, more glare than other headsets, but overall a good FoV, the clarity is good, the resolution is bearable.

The lenses clarity wise of the Vive Pro 1 and 2 are simply bad, with that alone we can save us the essay. There are fans that use the Vive Pro 1 with Gear VR lenses and a distortion correction profile, but I wouldn't bother. I am very positive on believing that the PSVR2 will even get VR games like Elite Dangerous/Star Wars Squadrons where OLED excels. Lighthouse as a system is so expensive, that you can almost get a PS5+PSVR2+300-400€ standalone headset for that kind of money.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
nr-Thunder schrieb:
Se vuoi ottenere una configurazione da faro, l'Index è l'auricolare più bilanciato sotto ogni aspetto. Ha problemi, più abbagliamento rispetto ad altri visori, ma nel complesso un buon campo visivo, la nitidezza è buona, la risoluzione è sopportabile.

Le lenti per quanto riguarda la chiarezza del Vive Pro 1 e 2 sono semplicemente pessime, solo con questo possiamo salvarci il saggio. Ci sono fan che usano Vive Pro 1 con obiettivi Gear VR e un profilo di correzione della distorsione, ma non mi preoccuperei. Sono molto fiducioso nel credere che PSVR2 otterrà anche giochi VR come Elite Dangerous/Star Wars Squadrons in cui OLED eccelle. Lighthouse come sistema è così costoso che puoi quasi ottenere un auricolare standalone PS5 + PSVR2 + 300-400 € per quel tipo di denaro.
The psvr2 will be a fantastic vr. Do you think that will works with pc?

With PSVR 1, all moders achieved was enabling 3DOF VR after multiple years, no real tracking and so on. I think it would be too challenging to be done in a short amount of time. And if it takes 5 years, it won't really matter.

nr-Thunder schrieb:
Con PSVR 1, tutti i moderatori hanno ottenuto abilitando 3DOF VR dopo diversi anni, nessun tracciamento reale e così via. Penso che sarebbe troppo impegnativo per essere fatto in un breve lasso di tempo. E se ci vorranno 5 anni, non avrà molta importanza.
Non ho PS5. Quindi psvr2 non fa per me.
for now I use the pico 4 and wait some news. Thanks for your support!

dancal88 schrieb:
I like that it has an oled screen
is there ANY Oled-screened VR-Headset without mura ?
i experienced also that "Oled-Black-Crush"-thing with oled-Headsets (you see lot less details in dark areas compared to a lcd-screen)
the PSVR2: there are also some reports of Mura

oled - "deep dark black-blacks..."
yes yes, but there are often other problems instead

• Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: dancal88
You have a vive pro 2, what do you think aboute vive pro 2 than the pico 4?

dancal88 schrieb:
I would not recommend the VivePro2 to anyone. The VivePro2 has a good display, but poor lenses. It is exhausting to look through and the image is only sharp in the middle. In addition, there are very annoying godrays and glare effects.

• Gefällt mir
Reaktionen: dancal88
same for me... had big hopes back then for the VivePro2
but it was the only headset i had to return because couldn´t look through it for longer time...
bad overlap for me as well..
didn´t like it at all, unfortunatly (it was supposed to replace my Index and G2)

the Pico4: at first i was also unsure if i wana keep it
but... meanwhile i like it for some of its features very much and its my daily driver

Phantom2k schrieb:
I would not recommend the VivePro2 to anyone. The VivePro2 has a good display, but poor lenses. It is exhausting to look through and the image is only sharp in the middle. In addition, there are very annoying godrays and glare effects.
do you tryed the gearvr lenses? Seems a great upgrade and a solution for these problems.

Kraeuterbutter schrieb:
same for me... had big hopes back then for the VivePro2
but it was the only headset i had to return because couldn´t look through it for longer time...
bad overlap for me as well..
didn´t like it at all, unfortunatly (it was supposed to replace my Index and G2)

the Pico4: at first i was also unsure if i wana keep it
but... meanwhile i like it for some of its features very much and its my daily driver
I am in a similar situation. More I read about vr more I think that the pico is actually the best choice, all modern specs and low price.

Zuletzt bearbeitet:
Hi guys, I have a questione for you:

- what do you think about the VIVE FOCUS 3? Is really worth like the vp2?

dancal88 schrieb:
- what do you think about the VIVE FOCUS 3? Is really worth like the vp2?
It has the same visuals as Vive Pro 2, don't bother. I think in a blind test most would choose a Quest 2 or Pico 4 over a Vive Pro 2/Focus 3, money aside. If you want to get something better in different aspects than the Pico 4, my best guess would be a Pimax 8kX. But I personally wouldn't feel good getting one used.

I know the pimax 8k, great headset. But I exclude it because will be a waste of money with separated station and controllers.

Howewer, I should wating the quest 3 (if crystal will be a delusion).

dancal88 schrieb:
I know the pimax 8k, great headset. But I exclude it because will be a waste of money with separated station and controllers.
maybe no, industrie turning away from lighthouse..

but i have Lighthouse for 6 years now..
used it with vive, Index, Pimax... and if i want with Varjo aero...

always the same, 6 year old basestations..
so for me: no waste of money ;-)

Kraeuterbutter schrieb:
forse no, l'industria si allontana dal faro..

ma ho il faro da 6 anni ormai ..
l'ho usato con vive, index, pimax... e se voglio con Varjo aero...

sempre le stesse stazioni base di 6 anni..
quindi per me: nessuno spreco di denaro ;-)
Amazing, I never thought with this prospettive. In this case, which kind of station/controllers suggest me? The same of index?

i think we will not see lighthouse in 6 years from now in new headsets..
so in the future it will not go as well as it has for me in the last 6 years, regarding Lighthouse stations and their reuse

Zurück
Oben